Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Aaaaaaaand, I'm Back

But not for long as there's a great deal of work-type stuff demanding my attention. It was nice being off, though. I completely closed out the old apartment, a relief, and I even managed to fit in some fun. Faith and I hit the mall once or twice and watched the movie we've been planning on seeing for the last three months. We saw Eragon--pretty good. I wound up picking up the book at Barnes and Noble and reading it over the holiday. I'm now working on Eldest. Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of the fantasy genre. Eragon is a good representation of why I don't tend to enjoy it--I have no objection to wordy people (please, I am a wordy people!), but there's word vomit all over Eragon. The story is quite interesting, but the tangents are many and vary from mildly intruiguing to boring-me-into-a-coma. If the movie hadn't invested me in the characters, I doubt I'd have finished it.

I also finished the Fitzwilliam Darcy Gentleman trilogy yesterday. It's a retelling of Pride and Prejudice from Darcy's POV, and overall, it's quite good. Aiden, the author, created some delicious new characters (Dy Brougham, in the vein of the Scarlet Pimpernel) and fleshed out some characters that Austen left bare, most particularly Georgiana and Lady Anne De Bourgh. Good stuff. Not nearly as good as Jane Austen, but the next best thing.

Okay, back to work. I'll be dropping in on the blog buddies later on today when I take another break.

2 comments:

Spin_Doc1 said...

Oh Mr Darcy, I am going to have to read that one!

Izzybella said...

You should! It's a good trilogy. Don't care for the second one as much but the first and third and pretty good.