Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Is That a Light I See I Before Me??

At the end of the tunnel, I mean. Teen Conference is almost over and to that I say, "yay." I've learned a couple of very important things over the last couple of days. Let me sum up:

1. I missed NOTHING by not having the dorm experience in college.

2. One cannot subsist on diet coke and ice cream alone (that's Latin for I really hope I make it to the cafeteria before they close tomorrow morning--I haven't had an actual meal since Sunday night)

3. The conference crew here at the University can be bribed with leftover lemon bars and whole fruit.

4. Even too-cool-for-words teenagers will act like a kid at the prospect of spending the day at Six Flags.

5. Also the too-cool teenagers will hightail it like nobody's beeswax to the evening session after having spent the day outdoors in 95 degree weather, if you even mention free ice cream sundaes in the ballroom.

6. I have actually met a man with a heart that's three sizes too small. Four sizes. He'd probably use Cindy Lou-Who for batting practice. Even my unflappable boss was all...flapped. Because he is mean and karma will put a big kick me sign on his back and then he'll be sorry. (wow, I'm still mad and that was over 24 hours ago...)

7. The 13-year-old band camp kids sharing our dormitory think I'm somewhere near Methusalah's age and called me ma'am twice. I am now old.

8. Also, it is officially too loud. See above re: old.

9. If you mention it's for the end-of-conference slide show, previously reluctant photographic subjects will immediately preen and ham it up.

10. If someone gives you the stink-eye as you pass them while holding your camera, do NOT stop. Just move it along. That way you get to live.

Those are good things to know, I think.

I have to go put together a slide show now. So, laters, okay? (That's what this girl said to me when I said good night to her a few minutes ago...)

2 comments:

Spin_Doc1 said...

I am catching up but curious about a man with a heart 4 sizes too small.

Izzybella said...

Long story made not-so-long: The problem had to do with the facility being double booked for our group and someone else's. My boss and the leader of the other group worked out a compromise so both of us could share the facility--the manager grudgingly agreed to the compromise, but he did NOT want to let us in. He was mean to my kids too, which really pissed me off.

That's the story. Nothing major-just unpleasantness--the Debbie Downer of event planning.