Friday, June 22, 2007

In Which Izzybella Feels Stupid

I'm sharing this not so you'll all agree how stupid I am (though I wouldn't blame you), but in the hopes that you've also had days where you did stupid things. It's nothing huge in the grand scheme of things. It's just kind of left me all squirmy with embarrassment. Here's what happened.

One of the functions of the group I work for is to provide continuing education to protective services professionals. Recently we scored a contract to provide a very specific training to caseworkers whose primary function is easing kids from state care to independent living. It's a very focused workshop, and we are only offering it about four times this fiscal year. So rather than have people register through the normal channels, they decided that people would register for the training locally--more specifically they email me and I email the training confirmation out. Up till today, it's been working like gangbusters [off topic]apropos of nothing, but what does doing anything "like gangbusters" mean anyway?[/off topic]. No problems at all. We're now on the last training for this fiscal year and I just sent out a mass email confirming the training to be held on Wednesday, June 27th. Well, someone emailed me back and told me the 27th was a Tuesday. Instead of confirming on my own calendar like a smart person, I attempted a recall of the email and resent with the confirmation now reading Tuesday, June 27th. Only right after I hit "send" I looked down on my desk calendar and lo and behold, June 27th is, in fact, on a Wednesday. So I had to send yet ANOTHER mass email out indicating the correct day of the week. Which made me feel very stupid.

I know it's not that big of a deal, but I have to say that if I were one of them getting about three different emails with a different day of the week on each one, I'd (one) exaggerate to all my friends that I got, like, six emails, and (two) I'd think the training organization lacked...organization. I would think less of them. So here's hoping they've all done stupid things themselves and are understanding.

In the future, I'm going to remember this just in case someone sends me three (or six!) different emails, each containing different information for the same event. I'm going to think they possibly are just having one of those mornings that results in the dreaded "dude, I'm stupid" feeling.

Aaaaand, scene.

No comments: