Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Chatty Hair Stylists

So, I just got my hair cut today by the same person who did it last time. I requested her on purpose because I really liked the cut she did--one of those that just does what it's supposed to even without being prodded by a round brush and blow dryer. I love the cut. Seriously. I mean that. I got six compliments just coming back into work from the parking lot. Love, love, love the hair. I loathe the chatty.

I know I'm in the minority-clearly, because every other person getting their hair done in the salon seemed to have an extra good chatty stylist/client relationship. I know it's wierd, but I've never liked being chatty with my hairstylist. The only exception was when my friend B used to style my hair, but B was my friend before she became my stylist. A lot of this stems from (and I can hear those who know me really well laughing their asses off) the fact that I'm very shy with people I don't know that well. Said person may speak with the tongue of men and angels and it will still take me a little while to warm up to them. I don't know why. Can't explain it. Always been that way.

So today, I was asked all kinds of questions about everything under the sun. Where do I work? Do I have any kids? No? Do I want any? Married? Single? Oh, that's too bad. Am I from around here? Do I watch any television shows regularly? OMG, you watch Heroes? I don't. My husband doesn't like it. Do I like movies? How about music? What do I think of Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey dating? (They are? Really?)

All of her questions were really nice and I could tell she was trying to build up a good client/stylist relationship. B always considered herself as much a counselor as she did a stylist. Still, I feel awkward talking about myself so much (says the girl with the blog, but I do!!!!!!!). So, finally, I gave in and started asking her questions instead. Unlike me, my stylist loves talking, not just about herself, but pretty much about anything. And then, lo and behold, I found myself enjoying the conversation. It was very relaxing being the one giving conversational prompts instead of receiving them.

So there's a lesson to be learned here, something about stop worrying about yourself and put the focus back on others or some such blah-blah. Yeah. The real lesson is keep the stylist happy so you have pretty hair.

4 comments:

Spin_Doc1 said...

Especially if she cuts hair well!

Faith said...

I'm normally with you on the chatty hair stylists. But my current hair stylist is really chatty, but I like it. That could be because she and I are totally on the same wavelength about almost everything, though, so I love chatting with her.

Can't wait to see the hair tomorrow!

Sam said...

Me, I usually doze off getting my hair cut, unless the stylist is cute ;-) lol

Izzybella said...

Agreed, spin doc. The value of a really good hair stylist cannot be overemphasized.

LOL. Sam, you totally remind me of one of my guy-friends. He's usually pretty bad about getting his hair cut, but he's got this cute new stylist and now he goes about every 5-6 weeks without fail. He's sort of cute in his dorkiness!!

Faithie, so much for seeing my AMAZING hair today, sorry. Hope you feel better soon. Rest. Snooze all the day. In fact, I hope you don't even see this reply until next week when you're already feeling better.