Monday, April 23, 2007

Hilarity (For Me, Anyway)

So the cast of this show I'm stage-managing, while remarkably talented, lacks commitment. By that I mean some of the cast members (this is an important distinction, not all of them are behaving this way) have things they'd much rather do than rehearse. I have felt that way in the past on some shows, but the primary difference between me and a few of the actors in my show, is that I went and rehearsed anyway. I think most shows are good experiences; some are great; some are awful. But agreeing to be in a show is agreeing to the time commitment required to rehearse and stage the show.

This particular show has NOT had a taxing rehearsal schedule for any of the actors. The rehearsals are set up per each scene and actors not in the scene to be rehearsed are not called. So far, no actor has had to attend a rehearsal more than three times in one week--usually for one hour each day, occasionally a bit more. So really. Not taxing at all. And yet...

One particular actor has decided she'd rather not rehearse tonight. She sent an email to my personal account claiming sickness. I was inclined to be sympathetic at first until the director told me this particular actor is "sick" a lot (at least once every show she's in, and if that's the case, WHY cast her, except that she's tremendously talented, and I just answered my own question) and requested I have her come in and rehearse anyway. So I emailed her rehearsal particulars for tonight to her work address. Her outlook email sent a "read" message and then I received an "automatic out-of-office reply." Except it totally wasn't an automatic out of office reply. It was so ridiculously faked that I can't believe she even bothered. I don't know whether I'm offended that she thinks I'm that stupid or just amused at the pathetic-ness of her attempt. I'm wavering between the two.

The thing is, she also asked to be let out of rehearsal a week ago Sunday so she could spend time with her boyfriend and I totally went to bat for her. Director did NOT want to let her off, but finally relented. So this is just kind of induces a great deal of irritation in a show/rehearsal schedule that has already been irritating enough all on it's own.

I didn't realize how much of stage-managing involved baby-sitting. To all stage managers everywhere, I say YOU FRAKKIN RULE.

3 comments:

soleil said...

that sounds like billie. i would love to see what a fake out of office reply looks like.
poor jamie.
lots and lots of trouble this show.

Izzybella said...

I can neither confirm nor deny the identity of the great big faker.

First I received a message read indicator which doesn't get sent when the out-of-office tool is on. Second, the "automatic" reply lacked the little arrow icon indicating it was an automatic out of office reply. The "out of office" indicator was in the wrong place, and the reply included my original message. Finally, the phone number for the alternate contact was carefully missing a digit. It could have been carelessness, but I really don't think so. I get out of office replies ALL the time from my clients so I have a reasonable understanding of how they work.

This show *is* lots and lots of troubles. But I'm learning. See how I'm taking the not good experience and learning from it anyway?? J gets great performances from her actors. And not everyone of her actors is being this way. I know it will be a good show in the end. Thinking positive...

soleil said...

of course it will be good. the shows usually end up that way. but one wonders sometimes, is it really worth all that angst? and usually that's a yes as well.
you always take a not good experience and turn it into a positive ;D